Casserole Cheese Bread
Sugar - 1 tablespoon
Active dry yeast - 1 package
Vegetable oil - 1 tablespoon
Salt - 1 teaspoon
Thyme - 1 teaspoon
All-purpose flour - 1 1/2 cups
Whole wheat flour - 1 1/2 cups
Jarlsberg cheese - 1 cup (4 ounces), shredded
Corn meal - 1 tablespoon
Skim milk - 1 tablespoon
Bran - 1 tablespoon
1) Take a large mixing bowl and pour water into it. Stir in sugar and yeast. Set aside for a few minutes or until mixture becomes foamy.
2) Mix oil, salt and thyme together.
3) Blend all-purpose flour into yeast mixture with electric mixer at low speed, scraping down sides of bowl as necessary. Increase the speed to medium and continue beating for 3 minutes. Stir in whole wheat flour with a wooden spoon and then mix along with Jarlsberg cheese.
4) Cover top of bowl with plastic wrap. Let rise in a warm, draft-free place until double in volume. This should take about 1 hour.
5) Preheat oven to 375° F or to 350° F if using glass pie plate. Grease a 9" or 10" pie plate and sprinkle with 1 tablespoon of corn meal.
6) Pour the dough onto the pie plate with floured hands. Cover lightly with a plastic wrap. Let rise in a warm place for about 45 minutes or until double in volume.
7) To test if the dough is ready to bake, press one finger lightly into it. If the finger mark stays and does not "spring back", the dough is ready. Then, brush top with skimmed milk and sprinkle some bran.
8) Bake for about 45 minutes or until browned. The bread should be ready when it sounds hollow upon being tapped. Remove from pan and cool on wire rack.
9) Cut into wedges and serve with cheese or your favorite bread-spread.