American Brown Bread Ice Cream
|Stale brown breadcrumbs||3 Ounce|
|Milk/Single cream||1⁄2 Pint|
|Sweet sherry||2 Tablespoon|
|Double cream||1⁄2 Pint, lightly whipped|
1) In a pan, melt butter. Toss in the breadcrumbs. Fry till they become crisp.
2) Sprinkle in half the amount of sugar. Let the sugar caramalize as you keep stirring.
3) Transfer the mixture onto a wooden board. Allow to cool before crushing into fine crumbs.
4) In a bowl, beat the egg yolks with the leftover sugar, till it becomes light and fluffy.
5) In a pan, scald the milk. Pour gently onto the egg yolks mixture. Beat continously.
6) Transfer the mixture back into the pan. Do not allow the mixture to boil. Keep stirring till the mixture becomes custard-like.
7) Take the pan off the flame and allow to cool down.
8) Add in the breadcrumbs and sherry. Fold in the cream gently.
9) Transfer the mixture to a rigid container. Freeze for an hour or till the ice cream sets.
10) Stir with a fork. Cover with a foil and transfer back to the freezer.
11) Thaw by wrapping the dish with a hot towel. Transfer to a chilled platter.
12) With a metal spatula, smoothen the sides of the ice cream. Freeze for another 10 minutes. Then keep in the refrigerator for 30 minutes before serving.
13) Serve the Brown Bread Ice Cream with chopped nuts as garnish.