Cereal Yeast Bread
|Whole grain cereal with raisins||1 3⁄4 Cup (28 tbs), crushed, flaked|
|All-purpose flour||6 1⁄2 Cup (104 tbs)|
|Fast rising yeast||1⁄2 Ounce (2 Packages)|
|Water||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Milk||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Butter/Margarine||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs), softened (2/3 Stick)|
|Honey||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Egg white||1 , mixed with 1 teaspoon water|
|Water||1 Teaspoon, mixed with egg white|
1. In the large bowl of an electric mixer, tip in the 1-1/2 cup of cereal, 2 1/2 cups of the flour, the yeast and salt; mix well.
2. In another saucepan, tip in the water, milk and butter and place the pan over low heat. The pan should be at an average temperature of 120-130F and there is no need for the butter to melt completely.
3. Add the milk mixture, honey and 2 whole eggs to the flour mixture and beat well on low speed till all the ingredients are well mixed. Beat this again on medium speed for three minutes while scraping all of the mixture into the bowl again and again to get an even mix.
4. Use a wooden spoon to add the rest of the flour 3-3 3/4th cup to the bowl to make a smooth dough
5. Turn out the soft dough onto a floured pastry cloth or board. Knead until smooth as this will take 5 minutes; add the rest of flour as needed.
6. Divide the dough in half and then let it rest covered for 10 minutes. Roll out each half into a16-by-8-inch rectangle starting from the short end and moving up. Press the ends and pinch to seal and turn them under the bread
7. Place the bread seam side down on a greased 9-by-5-by-3-inch loaf pan. Repeat with other half of dough. With scissors, cut five V-shaped notches on top of each loaf.
8. Cover with towel and let the loaves rise in a warm place for 30 minutes to rise.
9. As the loaves rise, preheat the oven to 375F.
10. Bake the loaves for 35 to 40 minutes, or until golden-brown
11. Turn out on to a wire rack and crush the tops with beaten egg white mixture and sprinkle with ¼ cup of cereal. These loaves can be frozen by wrapping them with foil and freezing till required
12. Remove from freezer; let stand at room temperature for 1 to 1 1/2 hours. If required, preheat oven to 375F and bake the loaf still wrapped in foil, 20 to 25 minutes. Unwrap and slice to serve.