Whole Wheat Currant Soda Bread
|All-purpose flour||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Baking powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Baking soda||1 Teaspoon|
|Whole wheat flour||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Currants||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Buttermilk||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
1. Preheat oven to 375F
2. Grease a small cookie sheet
3. In a large bowl, tip in the all-purpose flour, baking powder, soda and salt and mix well
4. Add the whole wheat flour and currants and mix well with a fork till well incorporated.
5. Add the buttermilk to the mix and mix to make thick dough
6. Turn out the dough on to a lightly floured pastry cloth or board and knead well till smooth. This will take 1 minute.
7. Shape the dough into an 8-inch oval on prepared cookie sheet and then press a large floured knife on top of the loaf to make five slashes that can be 1 inch deep.
8. Bake 35 to 40 minutes, or until top is golden and loaf sounds hollow when tapped with knuckle.
9. Remove from the oven and set aside on a wire rack to cool completely
10. Wrap in a heavy-duty foil or plastic wrap and label and seal for freezing.
11. Remove from the freezer; let stand wrapped at room temperature for 1-1/2 hours and slice to serve.