Stollen - Christmas Bread
|Active dry yeast||1 Tablespoon|
|Warm milk||2⁄3 Cup (10.67 tbs)|
|White sugar||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Butter||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs), softened|
|Bread flour||2 1⁄2 Cup (40 tbs)|
|Currants||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Sultana raisins||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Red candied cherries||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs), quartered|
|Diced candied citron||2⁄3 Cup (10.67 tbs)|
|Confectioner's sugar||1 Tablespoon|
|Ground cinnamon||1 Teaspoon|
1. In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in warm milk. Let stand until creamy, about 10 minutes.
2. In a large bowl, combine the yeast mixture with the egg, white sugar, salt, butter, and 2 cups bread flour; beat well.
3. Add the remaining flour, 1/4 cup at a time, stirring well after each addition. When the dough has begun to pull together, turn it out onto a lightly floured surface, and knead in the currants, raisins, dried cherries, and citrus peel. Continue kneading until smooth, about 8 minutes.
4. Lightly oil a large bowl, place the dough in the bowl, and turn to coat with oil. Cover with a damp cloth and let rise in a warm place until doubled in volume, about 1 hour.
5. Lightly grease a cookie sheet. Deflate the dough and turn it out onto a lightly floured surface.
6. Roll the marzipan into a rope and place it in the center of the dough. Fold the dough over to cover it; pinch the seams together to seal.
7. Place the loaf, seam side down, on the prepared baking sheet.
8. Cover with a damp cloth and let rise until doubled in volume, about 40 minutes.
9. In a preheated oven bake the dough at 175 degrees centigrade for 10 minutes, then reduce heat to 150 degrees centigrade, and bake for a further 30 to 40 minutes, or until golden brown.
10Allow loaf to cool on a wire rack. Dust the cooled loaf with confectioners' sugar, and sprinkle with the cinnamon.
11. Serve at room temperature.
Calories 1139 Calories from Fat 273
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 31 g47.8%
Saturated Fat 14.6 g72.8%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 129.3 mg43.1%
Sodium 1060.3 mg44.2%
Total Carbohydrates 200 g66.7%
Dietary Fiber 5.7 g22.9%
Sugars 121.3 g
Protein 21 g42.2%
Vitamin A 15.5% Vitamin C 9.6%
Calcium 26.7% Iron 14.2%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet