Wheat Egg Milk Free Bread
|Whole rye flour||2 1⁄2 Cup (40 tbs) (Elam's Brand, 100% Pure)|
|Baking powder||2 Teaspoon|
|Seedless raisins/Chopped figs||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Baking soda||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Warm water||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Molasses||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Cooking oil/Melted shortening||2 Tablespoon|
1. Grease a 9-inch X 5-inch X 3-inch loaf pan with butter or oil and dust it with a little of the flour.
2. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F before baking.
3. Into a large-size mixing bowl or in a food processor bowl, sift the flour with the other dry ingredients.
4. In another small bowl, combine soda, water, molasses and oil or shortening. Blend well.
5. Pour the liquid ingredients into the bowl of dry ingredients.
6. Stir quickly and lightly, just enough to moisten the flour mixture and only until no dry flour is visible.
7. Stir in the raisins and figs.
8. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and spread.
9. Place pan on the middle level of the preheated oven and bake bread for almost 45 to 50 minutes.
10. When the top is lightly browned and bread is spongy to touch, remove from the oven.
11. Let bread cool in the pan for 15 minutes then invert onto a wire rack.
12. Leave to cool completely.
13. Wrap in foil and rest overnight.
14. Slice and serve for breakfast with jam or preserves.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 1610 Calories from Fat 327
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 37 g57.5%
Saturated Fat 5.1 g25.6%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 3472.9 mg144.7%
Total Carbohydrates 312 g104%
Dietary Fiber 61 g243.9%
Sugars 102.7 g
Protein 39 g77.1%
Vitamin A 0.6% Vitamin C 3.4%
Calcium 110.9% Iron 129.2%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet