Peanutty Date Bread For Kids
|Crunchy peanut butter||2⁄3 Cup (10.67 tbs)|
|Vegetable shortening||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Flour||2 Cup (32 tbs), sifted|
|Baking powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Baking soda||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Milk||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Dates||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs), chopped|
1. Grease two 8 1/2-inch X 41/2-inch loaf pan with butter or oil and dust it with a little of the flour.
2. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F before baking.
3. Into a medium, dry bowl, sift together the dry ingredients and keep aside.
4. In a large-size mixing bowl, combine peanut butter, shortening and sugar.
5. Beat well with a wooden spoon or electric beater, on low speed, until creamy and light.
6. Add eggs, a little at a time, beating continuously until well blended with the creamed mixture.
7. Stir in vanilla.
8. Add the dry ingredients to the creamed mixture, alternately adding milk and stirring quickly and lightly, just enough to moisten the flour mixture and only until no dry flour is visible.
9. Fold in the dates.
10. Turn the batter into the prepared pan and spread evenly.
11. Place pan on the middle level of the preheated oven and bake for almost 50 to 60 minutes.
12. When the crust is lightly browned and loaf is springy to touch or when skewer inserted in center of loaf comes out clean and dry, remove pan from the oven.
13. Let loaf cool in the pan for 15 minutes then invert onto a wire rack.
14. Leave to cool completely.
15. Slice and serve with jam or preserve for breakfast or as a snack.