Orange Raisin Nut Bread
|Unsifted flour||2 1⁄4 Cup (36 tbs)|
|Light golden brown sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs) (firmly packed for measuring)|
|Baking powder||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Baking soda||1 Teaspoon|
|Buttermilk||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Egg||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Butter/Margarine||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), melted|
|Vanilla extract||1 Teaspoon|
|Raisins||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Nuts||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Candied orange rind/3 teaspoons grated orange rind||3 Inch (1 piece)|
1. Grease a 9-inch X 5-inch X 3-inch loaf tin with butter or oil and dust it with a little of the flour.
2. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F before baking.
3. Into a large-size mixing bowl or in a food processor bowl, combine the flour with the other dry ingredients.
4. Add buttermilk, egg, butter and vanilla together.
5. Stir quickly and lightly or pulse on medium low speed, just enough to moisten the flour mixture and only until no dry flour is visible.
6. Stir in the nuts, raisins and orange rind.
7. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and spread. Tap pan lightly on the tabletop to spread evenly and remove air bubbles.
8. Place pan on the middle level of the preheated oven and bake for almost 50 to 60 minutes.
9. When the top is lightly browned and bread is spongy to touch or when skewer inserted in center of loaf comes out clean and dry, remove pan from the oven.
10. Let bread cool in the pan for 15 minutes then invert onto a wire rack.
11. Leave to cool completely.
12. Wrap in foil and rest in a cool place.
14. Slice and serve for breakfast or as a snack with tea.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 4022 Calories from Fat 1399
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 154 g237.1%
Saturated Fat 50.1 g250.7%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 1136 mg378.7%
Sodium 3817 mg159%
Total Carbohydrates 597 g199.1%
Dietary Fiber 53.5 g214.1%
Sugars 315.4 g
Protein 116 g232.2%
Vitamin A 52.8% Vitamin C 27.3%
Calcium 110.2% Iron 111.5%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet