Old Fashioned Diamond Nut Bread
|Coarsely chopped walnuts||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Sifted all purpose flour||3 Cup (48 tbs)|
|Granulated sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Baking powder||4 Teaspoon|
|Salt||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Egg||1 , lightly beaten|
|Melted shortening||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Milk||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
1. Grease a 9-inch X 5-inch X 3-inch loaf tin (or two 8-inch X 4-inch X 2 1/2 -€“inch pans) with butter or oil and dust it with a little of the flour.
2. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F before baking.
3. Into a large-size mixing bowl or in a food processor bowl, sift the flour again with the other dry ingredients.
4. Add, egg, shortening, milk and vanilla to the bowl.
5. Stir quickly and lightly or pulse at a low speed, just enough to moisten the flour mixture and only until no dry flour is visible.
6. Stir in the chopped nuts.
7. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and spread. Tap pan lightly on the tabletop to spread evenly and remove air bubbles.
8. Place pan on the middle level of the preheated oven and bake bread for almost 50 to 60 minutes.
9. When the top is lightly browned and bread is spongy to touch or when skewer inserted in center of loaf comes out clean and dry, remove pan from the oven.
10. Let bread cool in the pan for 15 minutes then invert onto a wire rack.
11. Leave to cool completely.
12. Wrap in foil and rest in a cool place.
13. Slice and serve for breakfast or as a snack with tea.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 3969 Calories from Fat 1576
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 178 g273.1%
Saturated Fat 22.9 g114.7%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 245.4 mg81.8%
Sodium 4700.1 mg195.8%
Total Carbohydrates 535 g178.5%
Dietary Fiber 22.9 g91.5%
Sugars 226 g
Protein 82 g163.3%
Vitamin A 50.6% Vitamin C 0.09%
Calcium 207.9% Iron 140.5%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet