|Bread slices||2 , 1/2 inch thick, cut from a day old firm textured white loaf|
|Oil||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
1) From the bread, remove the crusts.
2) Now, cut the bread slices into cubes.
3) In a large skillet, heat the butter along with 1/4 cup of the oil, over medium heat.
4) To this hot butter-oil mixture, add the bread cubes.
5) Increase the heat to high.
6) Saute for 2 to 3 minutes, turning the cubes frequently to coat on all sides. Add more oil to prevent burning, if required.
7) Drain the croutons on paper towels.
8) You can use Croutons while preparing Caesar salad. Croutons are also served as snack or as accompaniment to soups.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 1578 Calories from Fat 1455
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 165 g253.7%
Saturated Fat 46.1 g230.7%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 129 mg43%
Sodium 298.6 mg12.4%
Total Carbohydrates 25 g8.3%
Dietary Fiber 1.4 g5.4%
Sugars 0.5 g
Protein 5 g9.8%
Vitamin A 30% Vitamin C
Calcium 5.3% Iron 8.2%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet