Crusty Mushroom Bread
|Bread loaf||1 (Round)|
|Butter||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Lemon juice||3 Tablespoon|
|White sauce||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
1) Preheat the oven to 350°.
2) Slice the top off the bread and scoop out most of the crumbs, leaving a 1/2 inch thick shell.
3) Finely chop the mushrooms.
4) Spread the inside with half the butter, place on a baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes.
5) In a saucepan, melt the remaining butter and fry the mushrooms for 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
6) Add salt, pepper and lemon juice.
7) Stir the mushrooms into the white sauce.
8) Separate the eggs and beat the egg yolks, one at a time, into the sauce.
9) Return to the heat and heat through gently.
10) Beat the egg whites till stiff but not dry.
11) Gently fold into the mushroom mixture.
12) Pour the mixture into the bread shell and sprinkle the top with a few of the scooped out bread crumbs, grated finely.
13) Bake for 30 minutes till well risen and crisp.
14) Serve the crusty mushroom bread hot as breakfast .