Whole Grain and Seed Bread
|Water||2 1⁄2 Cup (40 tbs)|
|Bulgur||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Active dry yeast||1 Tablespoon|
|Honey||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Olive oil||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Whole-wheat flour||3 1⁄2 Cup (56 tbs)|
|Bran||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Oat bran||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Sesame seeds||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Sunflower seeds||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
2. Boil 1 cup of the water in a saucepan.
3. Add the bulgur; cover and set aside for 15 minutes.
4. Heat the remaining 1 1/2 cups of water to lukewarm to about 110°F and transfer to a large bowl.
5. Stir in the yeast, honey, and oil and mix well for the yeast to dissolve.
6. Set aside for about 5 minutes to make the yeast become foamy.
7. Mix in the flour, bran, oat bran, sesame seeds, sunflower seeds, and bulgur to make a ball shaped dough.
8. Lightly coat the dough with oil on all sides by placing in a bowl.
9. Cover and set in a warm, draft-free place for about an hour or until doubled in volume.
10. On a lightly floured surface, punch the dough and knead on a for a few minutes.
11. Divide in half and shape each pieces into a loaf.
12. Coat two 9 X 5-inch loaf pans with nonstick spray.
13. Place the dough in the pans and allow it to rise in a warm place for about 1 hour or until doubled in volume
14. Bake at 350°F for 45 to 50 minutes, or until the loaves sound hollow when tapped on the bottom.
15. Cool before slicing.
16. Serve as an excellent side dish.
Calories 816 Calories from Fat 214
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 25 g38.2%
Saturated Fat 3.6 g18%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 14.8 mg0.6%
Total Carbohydrates 148 g49.2%
Dietary Fiber 26.6 g106.5%
Sugars 16.7 g
Protein 30 g59.1%
Vitamin A 0.3% Vitamin C 0.25%
Calcium 15.5% Iron 52.8%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet