Plaited Orange Bread
|Strong plain flour||1 Pound (450 Gram)|
|Salt||2 Teaspoon (Leveled)|
|Sugar||1 Ounce (25 Gram)|
|Mixed dried fruit||4 Ounce (100 Gram)|
|Fresh yeast/1 level tablespoon dried yeast||1 Ounce (25 Gram)|
|Warm water||1⁄4 Pint|
|Orange||1 Large, juiced|
|Orange rind||1 Large|
|Icing sugar||2 Ounce, sifted (50 Gram)|
|Grated orange rind||1 Teaspoon|
|Orange juice||2 Tablespoon|
1) Preheat oven hot to 425°F, 220°C or Gas No. 7.
2) In a mixing basin sieve flour and salt.
3) Stir in sugar and mix mixed dried fruit.
4) Make a well at the centre.
5) In a bowl add warm water and dissolve yeast in it.
6) To dissolve dried yeast dissolve 1 teaspoon of sugar in lukewarm water and sprinkle yeast over it.
7) Let stand for 10 minutes in a warm place until mixture is frothy.
8) Put yeast mixture, lightly-mixed egg, orange juice and finely grated orange rind at the centre of the flour.
9) Mix to a rough dough.
10) Put in a clean working surface and knead into a smooth dough.
11) Put the dough back into the basin.
12) Keep in a large polythene bag and set aside in a warm place until double in size.
13) Take out the risen dough and knead lightly.
14) Place the dough to a 5- by 12-inch (13- by 30-cm) rectangle.
15) Cut lengthwise to make three even strips. Roll the strip slightly rounding the edges.
16) Grease a baking tray and place the strips on it.
17) Pinch the edge to seal the strips together and plait them into a loaf.
18) Press firmly with fingers to seal the ends well.
19) Baste with lightly-beaten egg.
20) Cover and let stand in a warm place until well risen.
21) Baste again with beaten egg.
22) Place in oven and bake for 25-30 minutes.
23) Spoon icing into the warm bread and spread evenly.
24) In a bowl mix icing sugar, grated orange rind and enough orange juice to make a thick icing.
25) Drizzle the mixture over the bread.
26) Let stand until cold.
27) Serve sliced and buttered.
Calories 246 Calories from Fat 49
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 5 g8.4%
Saturated Fat 1.1 g5.4%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 35.2 mg11.7%
Sodium 230.1 mg9.6%
Total Carbohydrates 43 g14.4%
Dietary Fiber 3.1 g12.2%
Sugars 9.9 g
Protein 6 g12.7%
Vitamin A 2.5% Vitamin C 19.3%
Calcium 2% Iron 4.1%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet