Apricot Orange Bread
|Dried apricots||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Seedless raisins||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Butter margarine||2 Tablespoon|
|White sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|All-purpose flour||2 Cup (32 tbs), sifted|
|Baking powder||2 Teaspoon|
|Baking soda||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Chopped nuts||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
1. Grease and flour a 9 x 5 x 3 inch loaf pan.
2. Soak apricots for 30 minutes in just enough water to cover them.
3. Squeeze juice from orange, reserving rinds. Put juice in a measuring cup, and add enough boiling water to fill the cup.
4. Scrape rinds free from skin and scraps of flesh.
5. Drain apricots and grind apricots, orange rinds and raisins together.
6. In a medium-sized bowl, beat butter or margarine with sugar until fully blended.
7. Beat in egg and vanilla, then blend in ground fruit mixture.
8. Heat oven to 350°F.
9. Sift flour, baking powder, soda and salt into a mixing bowl.
10. Add the butter-sugar-fruit mixture in 2 or 3 parts, alternately with diluted orange juice, mixing thoroughly each time.
11. Stir in nuts.
12. Turn batter into prepared pan. Bake for about 50 minutes.
13. Cool 15 minutes in the pan, then finish cooling on a rack. Leave until quite cold before cutting.