Low Sodium White Bread
|Low sodium low fat milk||1 Cup (16 tbs), heated to lukewarm|
|Fresh lemon juice||1 Tablespoon|
|Active dry yeast||2 Tablespoon (2 Packages)|
|Egg/1/2 cup of liquid egg substitute||1 , lightly beaten|
|Corn oil||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
1) In a bowl, mix the milk and lemon juice well.
2) To this, add the yeast and fructose. Mix thoroughly.
3) Keep aside and allow to double in bulk. This will happen within a minutes.
4) In a bowl, combine the egg or egg substitute and corn oil. Mix well.
5) To this, add the doubled yeast mixture.
6) To this, gradually add the flour, until mixed well.
7) With your hands, knead in the last 1/2 cup of flour.
8) With a tea towel, cover and allow to rise in a warm place until doubled, for about 1 1/2 hours.
9) Punch down and on a floured board, knead for 10 minutes. Check if the dough is smooth and elastic.
10) With butter or margarine, rub the dough lightly.
11) With a tea towel, cover and let rise again until doubled, for about 30 minutes.
12) Again, knead the dough for a while and form into a loaf shape.
13) In a greased 9X5X3 inch loaf pan, place the dough.
14) With a tea towel, cover and let rise until almost doubled, for about 30 minutes.
15) Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
16) Bake in the oven for 40 minutes or until the bread turns golden brown. When tapped, it should sound hollow. To glaze the bread, you can rub the top with a small amount of butter or margarine, 3 or 4 minutes before the baking is over.
17) From the oven, remove the bread.
18) Place the bread on its side for 5 minutes.
19) Then, turn out on a rack and let cool to room temperature. It is easy to slice a cooled loaf.
20) Slice and serve as desired.
To serve the bread hot, first slice it, spread butter on top if desired, wrap in foil and reheat in the oven. To prepare low-sodium whole wheat bread, you can substitute the all-purpose flour with the whole wheat flour and proceed as directed. Another variation is crunchy low-sodium wheat berry bread. To prepare this, substitute the all-purpose flour with the whole wheat flour. Soak 1/4 cup of wheat berries in enough water to cover for 24 hours. Drain and add this to the milk-lemon juice mixture, along with the yeast and fructose mix. Then, proceed as directed.