Natural Whole Wheat Bread
|For yeast mixture|
|Lukewarm water||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|White sugar||1 Teaspoon|
|Cool water||4 Cup (64 tbs)|
|Hot water||4 Cup (64 tbs)|
|Cold water||4 Cup (64 tbs)|
|Brown sugar||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Molasses||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Shortening||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Natural bran||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Granola||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Bran||1 Cup (16 tbs) (Natural Variety)|
|Wheat germ||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Cracked wheat||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Whole wheat flour||5 Cup (80 tbs)|
|All-purpose flour||7⁄8 Cup (14 tbs)|
1) Preheat the oven to 375°F (191°C)
2) Mix the ingredients for the yeast mixture, and let it stand for about 10 minutes in a small bowl
3) Mix granola, cracked wheat, wheat germ, natural bran, salt and shortening, molasses and brown sugar in a large bowl and add 4 cups of the hot water into it
4) Keep stirring until the sugar and molasses have dissolved and cereals have softened.
5) Now make the mixture lukewarm by adding 4 cups of cool water.
6) One cup at a time, add the 3 cups of whole wheat flour to the mixture, beating it well all through.
7) Add the yeast mixture to this and beat well, followed by 2 cups of whole wheat flour again
8) One cup at a time, add 7-8 cups of all-purpose flour and stir it well till it becomes fairly stiff
9) Transfer the dough on a surface previously floured and knead well.
10) Take it to a large greased bowl, grease the top of the dough and cover it.
11) Keep it in a warm place to let it rise for about 2 hours
12) Convert it into loaves and put it in bread pans to let it rise again
13) Bake in the oven at 375°F for about 30~35 minutes.
14) After removing the loaves from pans, they can be kept on a wire rack to cool.
15) Serve the loaves crisp and hot
16) Brush tops with soft butter before serving