Braided Fruit Bread
|Milk||1 1⁄4 Cup (20 tbs)|
|Shortening||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Sugar||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Flour||4 1⁄4 Cup (68 tbs)|
|Cinnamon||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Candied red cherries||6 Ounce|
|White raisins||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Walnuts||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Confectioners sugar frosting||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
1) Preheat oven to 350° F.
2) Lightly grease a baking dish.
3) Take a saucepan and combine in it milk, sugar, salt and shortening. Heat through.
4) Allow the mixture turn lukewarm.
5) Add yeast and stir until completely dissolved.
6) Stir in the eggs.
7) Add cinnamon and flour.
8) Mix to form soft dough.
9) Add raisins, cherries and chopped walnuts.
10) Knead until dough becomes elastic and smooth.
11) Place in a greased bowl and cover with damp cloth.
12) Let rise until dough turns double in bulk. Divide into halves.
13) Roll out each half to form a 1/2 inch rectangle. Cut each rectangle into 3 equal strips.
14) Braid the 3 strips to make loaf and place in the baking dish.
15) Let rise until double in bulk.
16) Bake for about 30 minutes
17) Glaze the loaves with Confectioners' Sugar Frosting while still warm.
18) Garnish with walnut halves.