Old World Easter Bread
|Milk||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Sugar||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Butter/Margarine||4 Tablespoon (1/2 Stick)|
|Active dry yeast||1 Tablespoon (1 Envelope)|
|Warm water||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Egg||1 , beaten|
|All purpose flour||2 Cup (32 tbs), sifted|
|Candied orange peel||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs) (From A 4 Ounce Jar)|
|Golden raisins||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Fine dry bread crumbs||2 Tablespoon|
|Confectioners sugar||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), powdered|
1. In a small saucepan, scald the milk, sugar, butter or margarine on medium heat. Remove from heat and cool till warm
2. In a medium bowl, pour moderately warm water and sprinkle yeast. Stir until fully dissolved. Add the above milk mixture and egg.
3. To prepare mold, brush a 6-cup tall mold or 6-cup deep bowl with salad oil; sprinkle with bread crumbs. Keep aside
4. To prepare the frosting, mix 10 x sugar and water. Keep aside.
5. Slowly beat in 1 cup of flour until smooth and stir in the orange peel, raisins and nutmeg.
6. Beat in the remaining flour constantly and vigorously for 5 minutes until the dough becomes soft.
7. In a medium bowl, place the dough and cover with a bit of margarine or butter. Use a clean towel to cover and keep in warm place. Allow dough to rise for 1 hour or until double in bulk.
8. Once the dough has risen, punch down with hand and continue to knead for 5 minutes till dough is soft.
9. Spoon the dough into the prepared mold or bowl and cover with a clean towel. Allow to rise in a warm place for 45 minutes or until double in bulk
10. In a moderate oven of 350 Degrees Fahrenheit, bake the dough for 40 minutes. When it is down the center will make a hollow sound when tapped.
11. Cool on wire rack or simple outside on the kitchen table. Remove from the mold or pan.
12. Put cream in center of easy breads
13. Serve hot with tea or coffee. It can be re-heated and served with ice-cream for desert.
Calories 368 Calories from Fat 90
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 10 g15.8%
Saturated Fat 5.8 g29.2%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 58 mg19.3%
Sodium 219.5 mg9.1%
Total Carbohydrates 62 g20.7%
Dietary Fiber 2.6 g10.6%
Sugars 23.3 g
Protein 8 g15.6%
Vitamin A 6.4% Vitamin C 10%
Calcium 4.9% Iron 16.2%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet