Sweet Bread Loaf
|Baker's yeast||1 1⁄2 Ounce (45 Gram, Fresh)|
|Milk||1 Pint, warmed to 78°f/25°c (600 Milliliter)|
|Strong wholemeal flour||1 3⁄4 Pound (775 Gram)|
|Raw cane sugar||2 1⁄2 Ounce (65 Gram)|
|Sea salt||1 1⁄2 Ounce (40 Gram)|
|Butter||4 Ounce, softened (100 Gram)|
|Lemon||1⁄4 , juiced|
|Cherries||3 Ounce, halved (75 Gram)|
|Citrus||3 Ounce (75 Gram)|
|Angelica||3 Ounce, chopped (75 Gram)|
|Almonds||2 Ounce, flaked (50 Gram)|
|Vegetable fat||1 Ounce (25 Gram)|
|Egg||1 , beaten (Plus 2 Tablespoons Milk, To Wash Loaf)|
|Clear honey||2 Fluid Ounce (60 Milliliter, To Glaze)|
1. In a large bowl, tip in the warm milk and the yeast
2. Disperse the yeast in the milk.
3. Sprinkle with 2 tablespoonfuls flour and leave for 12 minutes until the mixture is foamy.
4. Grease a baking tray and set aside for the baking process
5. Preheat the oven to 400°F/200°C (Gas Mark 6)
6. In a large bowl, tip in the flour and make a well on top
7. Sift the sugar and salt into the well
8. Add the fermented yeast, honey, and beat the mixture together into dough
9. Mix well
10. When the mix is well blended, draw it into a ball
11. Dot the top of the dough with butter
12. Cover it with an inverted bowl and set it aside to proove for 45 minutes
13. After 45 minutes, knead the dough again to blend the butter well into the dough
14. Add the lemon juice and half the dried fruits and nuts and knead again
15. Cover and set aside for another twenty minutes to proove.
16. Divide the dough into 3 equal parts. Roll each part into a pointed 'sausage' shape, about 9 inches (23 cm) long. Join the strands at one end and plait into a neat loaf, joining the other ends when you have finished plaiting.
17. Place the formed loaf on the baking tray
18. Brush with egg and milk wash
19. Leave to proove for 35 to 40 minutes, by which time it will have doubled in size.
20. Glaze the loaf again with egg and milk, and bake at 400°F/200°C (Gas Mark 6) for 35 minutes.
21. Heat the honey very gently and, as soon as the loaf is removed from the oven, brush it with melted honey to provide a wet glaze
22. Decorate the top with the rest of the fruit and nuts.
23. Serve warm or at room temperature