Date And Nut Bread
|Chopped dates||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Boiling water||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Baking soda||2 Teaspoon|
|Butter/Margarine||1 Tablespoon, melted|
|Chopped walnuts||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Flour||2 1⁄2 Cup (40 tbs)|
1. In a bowl, soak the dates in water for about 10 minutes.
2. Grease a 1-pound coffee can or 8-cup bread mold with the melted butter. Keep aside.
3. In a slow-cooker or crock pot, place a metal stand or rack and fill it with 2 cups of hot water.
4. In a large bowl, combine and beat together the eggs, salt, baking soda, vanilla and the melted butter or margarine.
5. Stir in the soaked dates.
6. Fold in flour, a little at a time until all of it is incorporated to make a smooth batter.
7. Fold in the walnuts.
8. Pour the batter into the greased can or mold.
9. Cover top with aluminum foil, then tie with string to secure.
10. Place the mold on the rack in the pot.
11. Cover pot with lid.
12. Steam the bread on HIGH for about 3 ½ hours or on LOW for about 6 hours or until springy to touch.
13. When done, remove mold from pot.
14. Rest covered for 15 minutes to cool.
15. Turn out and let cool on a wire rack.
16. Slice and serve for with tea or coffee.