Maureen's Soda Bread
|All purpose flour||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Baking powder||2 Teaspoon|
|Baking soda||1 Teaspoon|
|Butter/Regular margarine||3 Tablespoon|
|Buttermilk||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Butter/Regular margarine||1 Tablespoon|
1. Preheat oven to 375F.
2. Lightly grease a small cookie sheet.
3. In large bowl, sift flour, sugar, baking powder, soda and salt.
4. With a pastry blender or fork cut in softened butter until mixture looks like fine crumbs.
5. Add buttermilk and mix in with a fork only until dry ingredients are moistened.
6. Turn out on lightly floured pastry cloth or board and knead gently until smooth—about 1 minute.
7. Shape into a ball place on prepared cookie sheet and flatten into a 7-inch circle.
8. Dough will be about 1-1/2 inches thick.
9. Press a large floured knife into center of loaf almost through to bottom.
10. Repeat, at right angle, to divide loaf into quarters.
11. Bake 30 to 40 minutes until top is golden and loaf sounds hollow when tapped.
12. Remove to wire rack to cool and brush top with melted butter.
13. Dust with flour, if you wish and serve.