Cheese Bread Round
|Milk||7 Cup (112 tbs)|
|Butter/Margarine||1 1⁄2 Tablespoon|
|Active dry yeast||1⁄4 Ounce (1 Envelope)|
|Warm water||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Sifted all purpose flour||5 Cup (80 tbs)|
|Grated swiss cheese||8 Ounce (2 Cups)|
1. In small saucepan scald milk with sugar, salt and butter or margarine and cool just until warm.
2. In large bowl sprinkle yeast into warm water and stir such that yeast dissolves.
3. Stir in cooled milk mixture and beat in 2 cups of the flour to form smooth soft dough.
4. Beat in cheese and gradually beat in remaining 3 cups flour to make stiff dough.
5. Onto lightly floured pastry cloth or board knead the dough until smooth and elastic, adding flour only extra enough to keep dough from sticking.
6. In a greased bowl turn the dough to coat all over with shortening and cover with clean towel.
7. In a warm place let it rise, away from draft for about 1 hour such that double in bulk.
8. Punch dough down and divide in two halves.
9. Knead each a few times and shape each into a ball.
10. In a greased 8x1 Ms-inch round layer-cake pan place the dough cover and let rise again in warm place, away from draft for about 1 hour such that double in bulk.
11. In a moderate oven bake at 350° for 50 minutes such that the bread gives a hollow sound when tapped.
12. Remove from pans, cool on wire racks and slice in wedges.
13. Serve hot with desired garnish.
When mixing yeast with warm water should feel comfortably warm when dropped on wrist.