Date and Nut Bread
|All purpose flour||2 1⁄2 Cup (40 tbs), sifted|
|Baking powder||4 Teaspoon|
|Sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Shortening||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Beer/Ale||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Nuts||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), chopped|
|Dates||1 Cup (16 tbs), finely cut|
1. Preheat the oven at 350°F.
2. Grease a 9x5x3-inch loaf pan well.
3. In a bowl sift together flour, baking powder, salt and sugar.
4. With two knives or pastry blender cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse meal.
5. In the center of dry ingredients form a well and add beer and egg.
6. Mix just until all flour mixture is dampened and stir in nuts and dates.
7. Spread the mixture to sides of the greased pan, leaving center slightly hollowed.
8. Bake in the preheated moderate oven for 1 hour.
9. Cool thoroughly, slice and serve with beverages or as snacks.