|For yeast mix|
|Hot water||300 Milliliter|
|Dried yeast||25 Gram|
|Rye flour||350 Gram|
|Strong white flour||350 Gram|
|Black treacle||15 Milliliter|
|Warm milk||150 Milliliter|
|Caraway seeds||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Vegetable oil||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
1) To make the yeast, add sugar to the water and sprinkle the yeast all over. Stir properly and allow to stand for about 15 minutes till the mixture is frothy.
2) To prepare the dough, into a bowl, sieve the flours and salt.
3) To the milk, add the treacle and slightly warm.
4) Add the caraway seeds to the flour and make a well in the center. Gradually add the milk and treacle and the yeast mix.
5) Mix well to make a firm dough and put it in a board. Knead for about 10 minutes.
6) In a polythene bag which has been greased with ½ teaspoon of vegetable oil, put the dough and keep it in a warm place till the dough has doubled in volume. This usually takes about 60 minutes at room temperature.
7) Knead the dough once again and bring it back to its original volume.
8) Into 2 equal pieces, divide the dough and mould it into 2 long loaves.
9) On a well greased baking sheet, places the loaves and cover with oiled bags. Keep aside for about 40 minutes so that the loaves can rise.
10) Take out the bags and with some milk, brush the loaves.
11) Bake for about 40 minutes till the loaves have browned and when tapped on the base, a hollow sound is made. Allow to cool.
12) To freeze the loaves, wrap them in double thickness of foil or in a polythene bag, seal, label and place in the freezer.
13) Thaw the frozen loaves at room temperature for about 4 hours. Serve or use as desired.
Calories 443 Calories from Fat 31
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 4 g5.6%
Saturated Fat 0.82 g4.1%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 2.5 mg0.8%
Sodium 343.9 mg14.3%
Total Carbohydrates 90 g30.1%
Dietary Fiber 15.8 g63.2%
Sugars 4.6 g
Protein 17 g33.4%
Vitamin A 0.7% Vitamin C 0.17%
Calcium 9.1% Iron 43.2%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet