Cooked Dressing For Sandwich Spread
|Thick sour cream||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Milk||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Vinegar||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Sugar||2 1⁄2 Tablespoon|
|Dry mustard||1 Teaspoon|
|Celery seed||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Grated onion||To Taste|
1. Prepare a double boiler. Place a saucepan filled with 3 inches of water over a medium-low flame and allow the water to simmer.
2. Fit a bowl into the saucepan such the base of the bowl does not come in direct contact with the simmering water.
3. In a bowl, combine the flour, sugar, salt, mustard and celery seed.
4. In the bowl of the double boiler, add the cream, milk and vinegar.
5. Blend the egg yolks into the cream mixture.
6. Add the dry ingredients and blend in, stirring vigorously.
7. Cook the mixture, stirring continuously until it is smooth and thick
8. Take the bowl off the heat and stir in grated onion if using.
9. When cool, spoon into a sterilized jar and refrigerate.
10. This is a delicious spread or dressing and can be used with odds and ends of baked ham leftovers, hock or butt-end, or as a sandwich spread.