Soda Bread Using Buttermilk
|Plain flour||2 Pound (1 Kilogram)|
|Soda bicarbonate||1 Teaspoon|
|Cream of tartar||1 Teaspoon|
|Buttermilk||1 Pint (600 Milliliter)|
1) Preheat the oven to 220°C/ 425°F / Gas Mark 7.
2) In a mixing bowl, sift the dry ingredients together and rub in the fat.
3) Pour the buttermilk, mix to form a soft dough, then turn over a floured surface, knead and halve the dough.
4) Shape the halves into 5 cm / 2 inch thick rounds and keep over a floured baking sheet, then mark a cross and sprinkle with the flour.
5) Bake in the preheated oven for 25-30 minutes. Remove on a wire rack to cool.
6) Slice and serve in a nice plate.