Royal Hibernian Brown Bread
|Butter||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Sour milk/Buttermilk||2 1⁄4 Cup (36 tbs)|
|Whole wheat flour||5 Cup (80 tbs)|
|All purpose flour||2 1⁄2 Cup (40 tbs)|
|Sugar||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
1) Preheat the oven to 400 F.
2) Lightly grease a baking sheet and leave aside.
3) In large bowl, sift together flours, sugar, soda and salt.
4) Using hand work in the butter in the flour mixture until it resembles fine grain texture.
5) In a bowl, beat in the eggs lightly and stream in milk.
6) In center of flour mixture, make a well; add egg mixture.
7) Using hand, mix together to form stiff dough.
8) Dust the working board with flour, place the dough and knead.
9) Divide the dough in half and shape into 2 round loaves.
10) Arrange the dough on prepared baking sheet.
11) Pat the tops of loaves to flatten and cut 1/2-inch deep cross in tops of loaves.
12) Bake in the oven for 45 minutes or until browned.
13) Remove from the oven and cool slightly; slice and serve.