Onion Cheddar Bread
|All purpose flour||2 1⁄2 Cup (40 tbs)|
|Whole wheat flour||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Active dry yeast||1⁄2 Ounce (1 Package)|
|Warm water||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs) (105° To 115°)|
|Orange juice||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Water||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Butter/Margarine||2 Tablespoon, cut into small pieces|
|Onion soup mix||1 Ounce (1 Envelope, Lipton)|
|Shredded cheddar cheese||5 Ounce (1 1/4 Cups)|
|Melted butter||1 Tablespoon|
1. In a medium mixing bowl, sift and combine the flours. Keep aside.
2. In a large mixing bowl, dissolve yeast in luke warm water. Add a pinch of sugar to get the yeast started. Set aside for 5 minutes.
3. When yeast mixture has become bubbly, to the bowl, add the orange juice, water, butter, onion soup mix, sugar, salt and 2 cups flour mixture; stir until smooth like a batter.
4. Gradually stir in remaining flour until it forms dough.
5. Transfer the dough onto a flour dusted work surface and work the dough with your palm kneading for 10 minutes until the dough is soft, pliable and springy to touch.
6. Return dough to the bowl. Cover the bowl with a kitchen towel or plastic wrap and set in a warm dry area to ferment for 1 hour. The dough should double in size.
7. Lightly greasy and flour a 9" x 5" x 3" bread pan or loaf tin.
8. Preheat oven to 375ºF, 20 minutes before baking time.
9. When the dough has doubled in size and indents when touched knock out the air by punching it with your fist.
10. Turn onto a flour dusted work surface.
11. Using your palm, flatten the dough into a 10" x 8" rectangle.
12. Sprinkle 1 cup cheese, evenly to cover the rectangle, keeping a border of 1 inch on all sides.
13. Starting at the 8" side, roll the dough and pinch the sides to seal.
14. Place the roll, seam side down in the prepared loaf pan.
15. Generously brush the melted butter on the loaf and sprinkle the remaining cheese on the top.
16. Place the loaf pan in the preheated oven and bake the bread for 40-45 minutes or until well risen and crust and cheese is golden brown.
17. Remove the tin from the oven and allow the bread loaf to rest on a wire rack until completely cool.
18. Slice bread using a bread slicing knife.
19. You can store the bread in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
20. Warm the bread before serving.
Calories 449 Calories from Fat 130
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 15 g22.7%
Saturated Fat 9.1 g45.4%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 41.4 mg13.8%
Sodium 859.3 mg35.8%
Total Carbohydrates 64 g21.4%
Dietary Fiber 4.9 g19.6%
Sugars 4.7 g
Protein 15 g29.8%
Vitamin A 11.4% Vitamin C 17.5%
Calcium 19.7% Iron 20.9%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet