Whole Wheat Sweet Bread
|Milk||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Honey||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Oil||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Lemon juice||1 Teaspoon|
|Whole wheat flour||4 Cup (64 tbs)|
|Whole wheat pastry flour||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Orange rind||1 Tablespoon|
|Raisins||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Walnuts||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
1. In a small saucepan, heat the milk on a low flame till it is luke warm
2. In a large mixing bowl, combine the yeast, warm milk and honey. Allow it to rest for 5 minutes to activate the yeast.
3. Then stir in the lemon juice and oil. Keep aside for 5 more minutes.
4. Grease a baking pan with oil.
5. Preheat the oven to 350°F 20 minutes before baking time.
6. Into the yeast starter in the mixing bowl, sift in the flour, salt and spices.
7. Add the rind, raisins and walnuts.
8. Using a wooden spoon or a spatula, stir vigorously to form a sticky dough.
9. Turn the dough onto a flour dusted work surface and knead with the back of your palm.
10. Oil the bowl and return the dough to it, cover with plastic or a kitchen towel and rest in a warm place for 1 ½ to 2 hours, to ferment the dough until it is doubled in size.
11. When the dough has fermented, with your fist, knock out the air, turn out the dough, divide into equal portions and shape into rolls.
12. Arrange the rolls in the baking pan, keeping 4 inch distance between each.
13. Cover the pan and allow the rolls to prove again for 20 – 40 minutes until doubled in size.
14. Brush the rolls with milk if you like.
15. Place the baking tray on the middle level of the preheated oven and bake the rolls for 40 to 45 minutes or until risen and golden brown
16. Remove the tray from the oven and transfer onto a wire rack. Allow the bread to cool sufficiently.
17. Serve these sweet rolls for breakfast or with tea.
Calories 801 Calories from Fat 279
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 32 g49.2%
Saturated Fat 5.1 g25.3%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 7.5 mg2.5%
Sodium 685 mg28.5%
Total Carbohydrates 120 g40.1%
Dietary Fiber 17.1 g68.3%
Sugars 31.8 g
Protein 20 g39%
Vitamin A 2.1% Vitamin C 7.8%
Calcium 18.4% Iron 29.4%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet