|Active dry yeast||1⁄4 Ounce|
|Warm water||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs) (105° To 115° F)|
|Cream-style cottage cheese||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Minced dried onion||1 Tablespoon|
|Dill seed||2 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Baking soda||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Slightly beaten egg||1|
|All purpose flour/Bread flour||2 1⁄2 Cup (40 tbs)|
1. In a small bowl combine the yeast, warm water, and the 1 tablespoon sugar. Set aside to dissolve yeast.
2. Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan combine cottage cheese, the 1 tablespoon sugar, onion, the 1 tablespoon butter, 2 teaspoons of the dillseed, the baking soda, and 1 teaspoon salt. Heat and stir just till mixture is warm (120° to 130°) and butter almost melts.
3. Combine dissolved yeast mixture, cottage cheese mixture, and egg. Stir in as much of the flour as you can. Turn dough out onto a floured surface. Knead in enough remaining flour to make a moderately soft dough that is smooth and elastic (3 to 5 minutes total). Shape dough into a ball; place in a greased bowl, turning once. Cover; let rise in a warm place till double (about 1 hour).
4. Grease a 1 1/2-quart casserole. Punch dough down. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Shape dough into a 7-inch round. Place dough into the prepared casserole. Cover and let dough rise in a warm place till nearly double in size (30 to 40 minutes).
5. Brush dough with 1 teaspoon melted butter or margarine. Sprinkle surface with the remaining dillseed. Bake in a 350° oven 40 to 45 minutes or till golden brown and bread sounds hollow when tapped. (If necessary, cover the bread loosely with foil the last 15 minutes of baking to prevent overbrowning.) Immediately remove bread from casserole. Cool on wire rack.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 1709 Calories from Fat 296
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 34 g51.6%
Saturated Fat 16.4 g81.9%
Trans Fat 0.4 g
Cholesterol 280.9 mg93.6%
Sodium 1248.7 mg52%
Total Carbohydrates 283 g94.5%
Dietary Fiber 13.9 g55.8%
Sugars 29.3 g
Protein 69 g137.8%
Vitamin A 23.7% Vitamin C 23.2%
Calcium 46% Iron 108.5%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet