|Milk||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Sugar||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Shortening||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Water||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Yeast||2 (2 Packages, Active Dry Or Compressed)|
|Flour||4 1⁄2 Cup (72 tbs), sifted|
|Cardamom||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Raisins||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Chopped onion||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Chopped candied cherries||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Almonds||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), chopped|
1. Preheat oven to 400°F before baking.
2. Heat milk below boiling point. Adds salt, shortening and sugar and mix well and allow to become lukewarm.
3. Take a large mixing bowl, add warm water and crumble or sprinkle in yeast. Stir till yeast dissolves completely. Add to lukewarm milk mixture and stir thoroughly.
4. Mix 2 cups flour, beat well, cover and keep for half an hour, avoiding draft, till mixture doubles. Stir down.
5. Add raisins, cardamoms, cherries, almonds and citron. Add rest 2.5 cups flour, transfer to a floured board and knead to an elastic and smooth dough.
6. Take a bowl, grease it, use shortening to brush, cover and keep aside in a warm place for 55 minutes, avoiding draft, to double the bulk.
7. Push forcefully down, prepare balls and arrange on a greased baking sheet, cover and keep aside in a warm place for an hour, avoiding draft, to double the bulk.
8. Bake for 10 minutes, lower to 350°F and bake for 40 more minutes.
9. Cool, slice and serve.