Lemon and Walnut Tea Bread
|Butter/Margarine||4 Ounce (115 Grams, At Room Temperature)|
|Sugar||3 1⁄2 Ounce (100 Grams)|
|Eggs||2 , separated (At Room Temperature)|
|Grated lemon rind||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs) (Of 2 Lemons)|
|Lemon juice||2 Tablespoon|
|Plain flour||7 1⁄2 Ounce (215 Grams)|
|Baking powder||2 Teaspoon|
|Milk||4 Fluid Ounce (125 Milliliter)|
|Walnuts||2 Ounce, chopped (55 Grams)|
1. Preheat a 350°F/180°C/Gas 4 oven. Line a 9 X 5 in (23 X 13 cm) loaf tin with greaseproof paper and grease.
2. With an electric mixer, cream the butter or margarine with the sugar until light and fluffy.
3. Beat in the egg yolks.
4. Add the lemon rind and juice and stir until blended. Set aside.
5. In another bowl, sift together the flour and baking powder, 3 times. Fold into the butter mixture in 3 batches, alternating with the milk Fold in the walnuts. Set aside.
6. Beat the egg whites and salt until stiff peaks form. Fold a large dollop of the egg whites into the walnut mixture to lighten it. Fold in the remaining egg whites carefully until just blended.
7. Pour the batter into the prepared tin and bake until a skewer inserted in the centre of the loaf comes out clean, 45-50 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes before turning out onto a rack to cool completely.