Fusilli with Tomatoes and Bread Crumbs
|Bread loaf||1 Large, crust removed (Country-Style)|
|Extra virgin olive oil||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Garlic||4 Clove (20 gm), chopped|
|Ripe red tomatoes||12 Large, cored, peeled, seeded, and chopped|
|Fresh parsley||1 1⁄4 Bunch (125 gm), chopped (1 Large Bunch)|
|Fresh basil leaves||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), chopped|
|Fresh thyme sprigs||6 , chopped|
|Fusilli pasta||1 1⁄2 Pound (Dried)|
|Freshly ground black pepper||To Taste|
1. Preheat the oven to 275 degrees F. Assemble the mise en place.
2. Cut the bread into pieces. In a food processor fitted with the metal blade, process the bread, in batches, to coarse crumbs. You will have about 6 cups of crumbs. Spread in a shallow baking tray and toast in the oven for 1 hour, or until dry and crisp but not brown.
3. In a large saute pan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the bread crumbs and garlic and cook, stirring constantly, for 10 minutes, or until the crumbs are golden. Pour into a bowl and set aside.
4. In a glass or ceramic bowl, combine the tomatoes and chopped herbs. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Add a splash of vinegar to intensify the flavor of the tomatoes, if you desire.
5. In a large pot, bring 4 quarts of salted water to a boil over high heat. Cook the pasta until al dente. Drain well.
6. Transfer the pasta to a warm, shallow serving bowl. Pour the tomatoes over the top and toss to combine. Add the bread crumbs and toss to combine. Serve immediately.
Calories 1053 Calories from Fat 215
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 26 g39.4%
Saturated Fat 2.6 g12.8%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 21.2 mg7.1%
Sodium 873.9 mg36.4%
Total Carbohydrates 171 g56.9%
Dietary Fiber 13.3 g53.3%
Sugars 15.1 g
Protein 31 g61.6%
Vitamin A 99.8% Vitamin C 131%
Calcium 18.8% Iron 49.1%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet