Soft Oatmeal Bread
|Skimmed milk||16 Fluid Ounce (475 ml / 2 cups)|
|Low fat margarine||1 Ounce (25 g / 2 tbsp)|
|Dark brown sugar||2 Ounce (50 g /1 1/4 cups)|
|Salt||2 Teaspoon (10 ml)|
|Easy blend dried yeast||15 Milliliter (1 tbsp)|
|Lukewarm water||2 Fluid Ounce (50 ml / 1/4 cup)|
|Rolled oats||14 Ounce (400 g / 3 1/2 cups)|
|Strong white flour||1 1⁄2 Pound (675 g / 6 cups)|
1. Scald the milk. Remove from the heat and stir in the margerine, sugar and salt. Leave until lukewarm.
2. Combine the yeast and lukewarm water in a large bowl and leave until the yeast is dissolved and the mixture is frothy. Stir in the milk mixture.
3. Add 275 g / 10 oz / 2 1/2 cups of the oats and enough flour to obtain a soft pliable dough.
4. Transfer to a floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic.
5. Place the dough in a greased bowl, cover with a plastic bag, and leave it for about 2-3 hours, until doubled in volume. Grease a large baking sheet.
6. Transfer the dough to a lightly floured surface and divide in half.
7. Shape into rounds. Place on the baking sheet, cover with a damp dish towel and leave to rise for about 1 hour, until doubled in volume.
8. Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F/ Gas 6. Score the tops of the loaves and sprinkle with the remaining oats. Bake for about 45-50 minutes, until the bottoms sound hollow when tapped. Cool on wire racks.
Calories 2286 Calories from Fat 242
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 28 g42.8%
Saturated Fat 5.4 g26.8%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 4.7 mg1.6%
Sodium 2129.4 mg88.7%
Total Carbohydrates 429 g143%
Dietary Fiber 30.4 g121.8%
Sugars 45.2 g
Protein 74 g147.9%
Vitamin A 0.3% Vitamin C 4%
Calcium 42.8% Iron 139%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet