Spiral Herb Bread
|Easy blend dried yeast||30 Milliliter (2 tbsp)|
|Lukewarm water||1 Pint (600 ml, 2 1/2 cups)|
|Strong white flour||15 Ounce (600 ml, 2 1/2 cups)|
|Wholemeal flour||1 3⁄4 Pound (500 g ,5 cups)|
|Salt||3 Teaspoon (7.5 ml)|
|Sunflower margarine||1 Ounce (25 g, 2 tbsp)|
|Parsley||3 Ounce, finely chopped (1 large bunch)|
|Spring onions||1⁄4 Pound, chopped (1 bunch)|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm), finely chopped|
|Black pepper||To Taste|
|Egg||1 , lightly beaten|
|Skimmed milk||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (for glazing)|
1. Combine the yeast with approximately 50 ml / 2 fl oz / 1 1/4 cup of the water, stir and leave to dissolve.
2. Mix together the flours and salt in a large bowl. Make a well in the centre and pour in the yeast mixture and the remaining water. With a wooden spoon, stir from the centre, working outwards to obtain a rough dough.
3. Transfer the dough to a floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic. Return to the bowl, cover with a plastic bag, and leave for about 2 hours until doubled in volume.
4. Meanwhile, combine the margarine, parsley, spring onions and garlic in a large frying pan. Cook over a low heat, stirring, until softened. Season and set aside.
5. Grease two 23 x 13 cm / 9 x 5 in loaf tins. When the dough has risen, cut in half and roll each half into a rectangle about 35 x 23 cm / 14 x 9 in.
6. Brush both with the beaten egg. Divide the herb mixture between the two, spreading just up to the edges.
7. Roll up to enclose the filling and pinch the short ends to seal. Place in the tins, seam-side down.
8. Cover the dough with a clean dish towel and leave undisturbed in a warm place until the dough rises above the rim of the tins.
9. Preheat the oven to 190°C/375°F/ Gas 5. Brush the loaves with milk and bake for about 55 minutes until the bottoms sound hollow when tapped. Cool on a wire rack.
Calories 2343 Calories from Fat 198
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 23 g35%
Saturated Fat 4.7 g23.7%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 106.9 mg35.6%
Sodium 3283.1 mg136.8%
Total Carbohydrates 467 g155.7%
Dietary Fiber 60.4 g241.5%
Sugars 7.1 g
Protein 90 g179.4%
Vitamin A 86.2% Vitamin C 114.6%
Calcium 37.6% Iron 177.4%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet