100% Whole Wheat Bread
|Milk||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Molasses||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Yeast||1⁄4 Ounce (1 package)|
|Lukewarm water||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Whole wheat flour||6 Cup (96 tbs)|
1. Scald the milk and place in a deep bowl with the molasses, shortening and salt. Cool to lukewarm.
2. Meanwhile, soften the yeast in one-half cup of the water. Add the remaining water to the milk mixture and, when it is lukewarm, stir in the yeast.
3. Sift the flour and return to the flour any bran remaining in the sieve. Set aside one cup. Add the remainder to the yeast mixture and stir until the flour is dampened. Add enough additional flour from the reserved cup to form a soft dough, stiff enough to leave the sides of the bowl and cling to the spoon in one ball.
4. Turn the dough out on a lightly floured board and knead until smooth and not sticky, about five minutes. Place in a greased bowl about three times the size of the dough. Turn the dough in the bowl and invert it so that the greased side is up. Cover with a towel and let rise in a warm place (80° to 85° F.) until doubled in bulk, or about two hours.
5. Punch the dough down, fold in the edges, cover and let rise again in a warm place about thirty minutes.
6. Turn the dough out on a board and cut in half. Shape into balls and let stand, covered, fifteen minutes. (This makes the dough easy to shape and gives the loaves a smooth crust.) Shape into loaves.
7. Place the loaves, smooth side up, in greased 9 x 4 x 3-inch loaf pans. Grease the tops, cover with a towel and let rise in a warm place until the dough comes slightly above the tops of the pans, or about one and one-half hours.
8. Bake the loaves in a preheated hot oven (425° F.) twelve minutes. Reduce the heat to moderate (350° F.) and bake about fifty minutes longer. The bread is done when it shrinks slightly from the sides of the pan. For a heavier crust, bake about fifteen minutes longer. Turn out of the pans immediately and cool on a rack before storing.
Calories 549 Calories from Fat 76
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 9 g13.4%
Saturated Fat 2.4 g11.9%
Trans Fat 0.7 g
Cholesterol 3.8 mg1.3%
Sodium 674.9 mg28.1%
Total Carbohydrates 107 g35.7%
Dietary Fiber 16 g63.8%
Sugars 10.3 g
Protein 19 g38.2%
Vitamin A 1% Vitamin C 0%
Calcium 11.7% Iron 32%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet