Rye Bread In Oven
|Wholemeal flour||12 Ounce (350 Gram / 3 Cups)|
|Rye flour||8 Ounce (225 Gram / 2 Cups)|
|Strong white flour||4 Ounce (115 Gram / 1 Cup)|
|Salt||7 1⁄2 Milliliter (1.5 Tablespoon)|
|Caraway seeds||30 Milliliter (2 Tablespoon)|
|Warm water||1 Fluid Ounce (475 Milliliter / 2 Cups)|
|Dried yeast||10 Milliliter (2 Teaspoon)|
|Molasses||30 Milliliter (2 Tablespoon)|
1. Put the flours and salt in a bowl. Set aside 5 ml / 1 tsp of the caraway seeds and add the rest to the bowl.
2. Put half the water in a jug. Sprinkle the yeast on top. Add the sugar, mix well and leave for 10 minutes.
3. Make a well in the flour mixture, then add the yeast mixture with the molasses and the remaining water. Gradually incorporate the flour and mix to a soft dough, adding a little water if necessary.
4. Turn the dough on to a floured surface and knead for 5 minutes until smooth and elastic. Return to the clean bowl, cover with a damp dish towel and leave in a warm place for about 2 hours until doubled in bulk. Grease a baking sheet.
5. Turn the dough on to a floured surface and knead for 2 minutes. Divide the dough in half, then shape into two 23 cm / 9 in long oval loaves. Flatten the loaves slightly and place them on a baking sheet.
6. Brush the loaves with water and sprinkle with the remaining caraway seeds. Cover and leave in a warm place for about 40 minutes until well risen. Preheat the oven to 200°C/ 400°F/Gas 6. Bake the loaves for 30 minutes or until they sound hollow when tapped underneath. Cool on a wire rack. Serve the bread plain, or slice and add a low fat topping.
Calories 630 Calories from Fat 39
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 5 g7.1%
Saturated Fat 0.56 g2.8%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 737.8 mg30.7%
Total Carbohydrates 133 g44.3%
Dietary Fiber 27.3 g109.3%
Sugars 5.4 g
Protein 25 g50%
Vitamin A 0.8% Vitamin C 2.6%
Calcium 13.4% Iron 57%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet