Buttermilk Wheat Bread
|Active dry yeast||1⁄2 Ounce (2 Envelopes)|
|Warm water||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (Very Warm)|
|Buttermilk||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Vegetable shortening||2 Tablespoon|
|Honey||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Baking soda||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Whole wheat flour||3 1⁄2 Cup (56 tbs)|
|Cracked wheat||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Sifted all purpose flour||2 1⁄4 Cup (36 tbs)|
1. Sprinkle yeast into very warm water in a 1-cup measure; stir in 1 teaspoon of the honey. ("Very warm water" should feel comfortably warm when dropped on wrist.) Stir until yeast dissolves. Let stand undisturbed to proof until bubbly and double in volume, about 10 minutes.
2. Heat buttermilk with shortening, remaining honey and salt in small saucepan just to lukewarm; combine with yeast mixture in a large bowl.
3. Stir in baking soda, whole wheat flour and cracked wheat until smooth; beat in enough of the all-purpose flour to make a soft dough.
4. Turn out onto lightly floured surface. Knead until smooth and elastic, about 10 minutes, using only as much flour as needed to keep dough from sticking.
5. Place in a buttered bowl; turn to bring buttered side up. Cover with a towel. Let rise in a warm place, away from drafts, 1 hour, or until double in bulk.
6. Punch dough down; turn out onto lightly floured surface; knead a few times; invert a bowl over dough; let rest 10 minutes.
7. Divide dough in half and knead each half a few times. Roll each piece to an 18x9-inch rectangle. Roll up from short side, jelly roll fashion. Pinch ends together with fingers to seal. Place each loaf seam side down in a greased 9x5x3-inch pan.
8. Let rise again in a warm place, away from drafts, 40 minutes, or until double in bulk.
9. Bake in moderate oven (375°) 35 minutes, or until golden brown and loaves sound hollow when tapped. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
Calories 956 Calories from Fat 103
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 12 g18.2%
Saturated Fat 2.5 g12.3%
Trans Fat 1 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 1642.3 mg68.4%
Total Carbohydrates 187 g62.4%
Dietary Fiber 23.5 g94.1%
Sugars 16.2 g
Protein 33 g67%
Vitamin A 0.3% Vitamin C 0.17%
Calcium 6.8% Iron 51.7%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet