Crusty Brown Soda Bread
|Plain flour||1 Pound (450 Gram)|
|Soda bicarbonate||1 Tablespoon|
|Cream of tartar||4 Teaspoon|
|Caster sugar||2 Teaspoon|
|Butter||2 Ounce (55 Gram)|
|Buttermilk/Skimmed milk||1 1⁄2 Pint (900 Milliliter)|
|Wholemeal flour||2 Tablespoon (Extra, To Sprinkle)|
1. Lightly grease a baking sheet. Preheat the oven to 375°F/190°C/ Gas 5.
2. Sift all the dry ingredients into a large bowl, tipping any bran from the flour back into the bowl.
3. Rub the butter into the flour mixture, then add enough buttermilk or milk to make a soft dough. You may not need all of it, so add it cautiously.
4. Knead lightly until smooth then transfer to the baking sheet and shape} to a large round about 2 in (5 cm) i thick.
5. Using the floured handle of a wooden spoon, form a large cross on top of the dough. Sprinkle over a little extra wholemeal flour.
6. Bake for 40-50 minutes until riseri and firm. Cool for 5 minutes before) transferring to a wire rack to cool further.