High Protein Whole Wheat Bread
|Active dry yeast||1⁄2 Ounce (2 Envelopes)|
|Warm water||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Milk||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Instant nonfat dry milk powder||2⁄3 Cup (10.67 tbs)|
|Soya bean flour||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Wheat germ||3 Tablespoon|
|Whole wheat flour||3 Cup (48 tbs)|
|Unbleached all purpose flour||3 Cup (48 tbs), sifted|
|Slightly beaten egg||1|
|Sesame seeds||1 Tablespoon|
1. Sprinkle yeast into 1/2 cup of the very warm water in a 1-cup measure; stir in 1 teaspoon of the sugar. ("Very warm water" should feel comfortably warm when dropped on wrist.) Stir until yeast dissolves. Let stand, undisturbed, to proof 10 minutes, or until bubbly and double in volume.
2. Combine remaining water and sugar with milk, butter or margarine and salt in a small saucepan; heat until butter melts. Pour into large bowl; cool to lukewarm. Stir in yeast.
3. Stir in dry milk powder, soya bean powder, wheat germ, 1 1/2 cups of the whole wheat flour and 1 cup of all-purpose flour. Beat at medium speed with electric mixer, 3 minutes, scraping down side of bowl several times. Stir in remaining whole wheat flour and 1 cup all-purpose flour to make a stiff dough.
4. Turn out onto lightly floured surface. Knead until smooth and elastic, about 10 minutes, using the remaining all-purpose flour in order to keep the dough from sticking.
5. Place in a buttered large bowl; turn to bring buttered side up. Cover with a towel. Let rise in a warm place, away from drafts, 1 to 1 1/2 hours, or until double in bulk.
6. Punch dough down; turn out onto lightly floured surface; knead a few times; invert bowl over dough; let rest about 10 minutes. Divide dough in half and knead each piece a few times; shape into 2 loaves. Place in two buttered 9x5x3-inch loaf pans.
7. Let rise again in a warm place, away from drafts, 45 minutes, or until double in bulk. Brush tops with beaten egg; sprinkle with sesame seeds.
8. Bake in a moderate oven (375°) 35 minutes, or until golden and loaves sound hollow when tapped. Remove from pans to wire racks; cool completely.