Cranberry Pecan Bread
|Pecans||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs), chopped|
|Cranberries||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs), coarsely ground|
|Sugar||1 1⁄4 Cup (20 tbs)|
|All purpose flour||3 Cup (48 tbs)|
|Baking powder||4 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Vegetable shortening||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Lemon rind||2 Teaspoon, grated|
|Milk||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
1. Grease a 9-inch angel cake pan; sprinkle half of the pecans evenly over bottom.
2. Mix cranberries and 1/4 cup of the sugar in a small bowl; let stand while preparing batter.
3. Sift flour, the remaining 1 cup sugar, baking powder and salt in a large bowl; cut in shortening with a pastry blender until mixture resembles corn-meal. Stir in remaining 1 cup pecans and lemon rind.
4. Beat eggs well in a small bowl; stir in milk. Add all at once to flour mixture; stir just until moist. (Batter will be lumpy.) Spread in prepared pan.
5. Bake in a moderate oven (350°) 1 hour and 10 minutes, or until a wooden pick inserted near center comes out clean. Cool in pan on a wire rack 10 minutes. Loosen around edges and center with a knife; turn out onto rack. Cool loaf completely.
6. Wrap loaf in foil or plastic wrap. Store overnight.
Calories 1231 Calories from Fat 562
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 65 g100.6%
Saturated Fat 11.2 g56%
Trans Fat 3.4 g
Cholesterol 86 mg28.7%
Sodium 739.3 mg30.8%
Total Carbohydrates 151 g50.3%
Dietary Fiber 9.4 g37.5%
Sugars 69.5 g
Protein 19 g37.1%
Vitamin A 4.1% Vitamin C 15.4%
Calcium 54.4% Iron 37.4%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet