Basic Yeast Roll Dough
|Active dry yeast||1⁄4 Ounce (1 Envelope)|
|Warm water||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs) (Very Warm)|
|Butter/Margarine / vegetable shortening||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Sugar||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Scalded milk||2 1⁄4 Cup (36 tbs)|
|Egg||1 , slightly beaten|
|Sifted all purpose flour||8 Cup (128 tbs)|
1. Sprinkle yeast into very warm water in a small bowl. (Very warm water should feel comfortably warm when dropped on wrist.) Stir until yeast dissolves.
2. Place butter, margarine or shortening, sugar and salt in a large mixing bowl; add scalded milk and stir until fat melts and sugar and salt dissolve. Let mixture cool to luke-warm.
3. Stir yeast mixture into lukewarm milk mixture; add egg and beat until well mixed.
4. Add about half the flour and beat vigorously until smooth; beat in enough of the remaining flour, about 1/2 cup at a time, to make a soft dough.
5. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured pastry board or cloth; invert the bowl over it and let rest for 10 minutes; knead dough, adding enough flour to keep it from sticking, about 10 minutes, or until it becomes smooth and elastic in your hands.
6. Shape dough into a ball and place in a greased mixing bowl, turn to coat all over with shortening, cover with a clean towel and let rise in a warm place, away from draft, about 1 hour, or until double in bulk.
7. Punch dough down, then shape into rolls, as desired, and place on greased baking sheets; cover rolls with towels; let rise again in warm place, away from draft, about 30 minutes, or until dough is double in bulk.
8. Bake in a hot oven (400°) 15 minutes or until golden. Brush tops with butter or margarine, if you wish.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 4769 Calories from Fat 813
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 92 g142.2%
Saturated Fat 51.2 g255.8%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 423.6 mg141.2%
Sodium 6121.9 mg255.1%
Total Carbohydrates 843 g281%
Dietary Fiber 28.5 g114%
Sugars 79.8 g
Protein 129 g258.6%
Vitamin A 52.7% Vitamin C 0.04%
Calcium 77.9% Iron 270.6%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet