Cranberry Pecan Bread
|Pecans||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs), chopped|
|Cranberries||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs), coarsely ground|
|Sugar||1 1⁄4 Cup (20 tbs)|
|All purpose flour||3 Cup (48 tbs), sifted|
|Baking powder||4 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Vegetable shortening||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Lemon rind||2 Teaspoon, grated|
|Milk||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
1. Grease a 9-inch angel-cake pan; sprinkle 1/2 cup of the pecans evenly over bottom.
2. Mix cranberries and 1/4 cup of the sugar in a small bowl; let stand while preparing batter.
3. Sift flour, remaining 1 cup sugar,baking powder and salt into a large bowl; cut in shortening with a pastry blender or fork until mixture resembles cornmeal. Stir in the .remaining pecans and lemon rind.
4. Beat eggs well in a small bowl; stir in milk. Add all at once to flour mixture; stir just until moist; stir in sugared cranberries. Spoon into prepared pan; spread top even.
5. Bake in moderate oven (350°) for 1 hour and 10 minutes, or till wooden pick inserted near center comes out clean. Cool in pan on a rack 10 minutes. Loosen around edge and center with knife; turn out onto rack. Cool completely.
6. Wrap loaf in waxed paper, foil or plastic wrap. Store overnight to mellow flavors and make slicing easier.