Homemade White Bread
|Active dry yeast||1⁄2 Ounce (2 Envelopes)|
|Warm water||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (Very Warm)|
|Milk||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Water||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Sifted all purpose flour||6 1⁄2 Cup (104 tbs)|
1. Sprinkle yeast over very warm water in a large bowl. (Very warm water should feel comfortably warm when dropped on wrist.) Stir until yeast dissolves.
2. Heat milk to scalding in a medium-size saucepan; add 2 tablespoons of the butter or margarine, sugar and salt; stir until butter is melted. Add the 1 cup water. Cool to lukewarm.
3. Add lukewarm milk mixture to yeast. Stir in 3 cups of the flour; beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to make a stiff dough.
4. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured pastry board or cloth and knead until smooth and satiny, about 5 minutes working in additional flour to keep dough from sticking, if necessary. Place in a greased bowl; turn greased-side up. Cover; let rise in warm place, away from draft, until double in bulk, about 1 hour.
5. Punch dough down; divide in half. Let dough rest, covered, on board 10 minutes.
6. Roll out each piece of dough to an 18x9-inch rectangle. Roll up from short side, jelly-roll fashion. Press each end to seal; fold under loaf. Place shaped loaves in 2 greased, 9x5x3-inch loaf pans, seam-sides down. Melt remaining 2 tablespoons butter or margarine in a metal cup; brush tops of loaves with part. Cover; let rise in warm place until double in bulk, 1 hour.
7. Bake in hot oven (400°) 30 minutes; again brush tops with melted butter or margarine. Bake 10 minutes more, or till loaves sound hollow when tapped. Remove from oven; brush tops with butter. Remove from pans; cool on racks.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 3681 Calories from Fat 566
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 65 g99.4%
Saturated Fat 36.4 g181.9%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 151.6 mg50.5%
Sodium 4002.2 mg166.8%
Total Carbohydrates 667 g222.4%
Dietary Fiber 24.9 g99.7%
Sugars 44.1 g
Protein 97 g194.3%
Vitamin A 34.6% Vitamin C 0.07%
Calcium 40.7% Iron 223.2%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet