Pumpkin Spice Bread
|Buttermilk||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Dry yeast||2 Teaspoon|
|Pumpkin||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (cooked or canned)|
|Ground allspice||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Raisins||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Unbleached all purpose flour||2 1⁄2 Cup (40 tbs) (adjust quantity as needed)|
1. Warm the buttermilk and butter in a small saucepan over low heat until the butter melts and the mixture is just tepid. Meanwhile, in a small bowl stir together the honey, yeast and 2 tablespoons of warm water (105-115°); set aside 10 minutes.
2. In a large bowl stir together the pumpkin, allspice and salt. Stir in the buttermilk and yeast mixtures and the raisins, then gradually add enough flour to form a dough that pulls away from the sides of the bowl.
3. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured board and knead it with floured hands 5 to 10 minutes, or until the dough is smooth and elastic, kneading in more flour if necessary.
4. Spray a large bowl with nonstick cooking spray. Place the dough in the bowl, cover it with a kitchen towel and let rise in a draft-free place 30 to 45 minutes, or until doubled in bulk.
5. Spray a baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray. Punch the dough down and shape it into a round loaf. Place the loaf on the baking sheet and let it rise again 20 to 30 minutes, or until doubled in bulk. Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 375°.
6. With a single-edge razor blade or sharp scissors, cut a cross in the top of the loaf. Bake the bread about 35 minutes, or until the loaf sounds hollow when tapped. Transfer the loaf to a rack to cool before cutting it into 8 thick slices.