|Granulated sugar||1 Teaspoon|
|Lukewarm milk||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Active dry yeast||1⁄4 Ounce (1 Envelope)|
|All purpose flour||3 1⁄2 Cup (56 tbs)|
|Whole wheat flour||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Water||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Finely chopped onion||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Soft sweet butter||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Coarsely chopped pecans||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Cornmeal||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
1. In a small bowl, dissolve sugar in milk. Sprinkle in yeast. Let stand 10 minutes, then stir well.
2. In a large bowl, combine 1 cup (250 ml) all-purpose flour, all the whole wheat flour and salt. Add yeast mixture and stir 2 minutes, until well-blended.
3. Heat butter in a small skillet and add onions; saute- 5 minutes, until softened. Add onion mixture and pecans to flour mixture.
4. Stir in the remainder of the all-purpose flour to make a dough which leaves the side of the bowl.
5. On a lightly floured surface, knead dough until smooth. Place in a well-greased bowl, turning so that dough is greased all over. Cover and let rise in a warm place for 1 hour, or until doubled.
6. Preheat oven to 425°F (220°C).
7. On a lightly floured surface, punch dough down; knead 2 to 3 minutes.
8. Cut in half and shape each half as an oval loaf, about 10 inches (25 cm) long.
9. Sprinkle baking sheet with cornmeal and place loaves on sheet. Let rise, uncovered, in a warm place for 20 minutes. Slash tops diagonally. Bake in oven for 25 to 30 minutes, until loaves sound hollow when tapped on top.