Favorite Oatmeal Bread
Plus 2 tsp
1/2 cup lukewarm water
2 envelopes active dry yeast
3 cups rolled oats
2 1/2 cups boiling water
1/2 cup molasses
1 tbsp salt
1/4 cup shortening
1/2 cup cold water
6 cups all-purpose flour
2 tbsp sweet butter
1. In a cup combine 2 tsp (10 ml) sugar and lukewarm water; stir to dissolve. Sprinkle yeast over and let stand 10 minutes; stir well.
2. In a large bowl, combine rolled oats, boiling water, molasses, remaining sugar, salt, shortening and stir to blend. Add cold water to oatmeal mixture and stir until lukewarm.
3. Stir in yeast mixture. Add half of the flour and beat with a wooden spoon until well-blended. Add enough of remaining flour, mixing first with spoon then with hands, to make a firm but not stiff dough.
4. Turn out onto a floured board and knead about 8 minutes, until elastic.
5. Put in a greased bowl, cover with a damp cloth, and let rise in a warm place about 1 hour and 15 minutes, until double in bulk.
6. Punch down and let rise again, about 45 minutes to an hour, until double. Punch down.
7. Grease two 9x5-inch (23x13-cm) loaf pans. Divide dough into two equal parts and shape each into a loaf. Place in prepared pans. Brush tops with melted butter and let rise in a warm place about 1 hour, until double.
8. Preheat oven to 425°F (220°C). Bake for 15 minutes, then reduce temperature to 375°F (190°C) and continue to bake 45 minutes, or until loaves sound hollow when tapped on top. Cool on racks.