|Tepid water||1 1⁄2 Pint (900 Milliliter)|
|Fresh yeast/30 milliliter dried yeast and 1 teaspoon honey||2 Ounce (50 Grams)|
|Plain wholemeal flour||3 Pound (1.4 Kilogram)|
|Demerara sugar||30 Milliliter (2 Level Tablespoon)|
|Salt||4 Teaspoon (Leveled)|
|Margarine||1 Ounce (For Greasing Cracked Wheat, For Sprinkling, 25 Grams)|
1. Put 300 ml (1/2 pint) of the tepid water in a measuring jug or bowl and stir in the fresh yeast until it is dissolved. Or, if using dried yeast, stir the honey into 300 ml (1/2 pint) of the water, sprinkle in the yeast and leave it in a warm place for about 15 minutes until it is frothy.
2. Mix the flour, sugar and salt together in a large mixing bowl and make a well in the centre. Pour in the yeast liquid and the remaining water. Mix together to make a firm dough, adding a little more water if necessary.
3. Knead the dough on a very lightly floured work surface and knead it for at least 10 minutes until it is very smooth and elastic and no longer sticky.
4. Place the dough in a bowl, cover it with a clean tea-towel and leave it in a warm place until it has doubled in size - about 1 hour, depending on room temperature.
5. Grease four 450 g (1 lb) ovenproof glass or plastic loaf dishes.
6. Turn the risen dough on to a lightly floured work surface and knead it with clenched fists to 'knock back' the dough, to remove all the large air bubbles. Knead the dough once again for about 5 minutes until it is smooth.
7. Divide the dough into four equal-sized pieces, shape and press these into the prepared dishes, pressing the dough well into the corners.
8. Loosely cover the loaves with a clean tea-towel and leave them in a warm place to double in size and to rise almost to the top of the dishes.
9. Brush the tops of the loaves with a little salted water and sprinkle them with the cracked wheat.
10. Microwave the loaves one at a time on HIGH for 5 minutes. Next, turn out each loaf upside down on to a double thickness of absorbent kitchen paper and microwave on HIGH for 1 minute or until they sound hollow when they are tapped on the base, or until a wooden cocktail stick or skewer inserted in them comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
Calories 93 Calories from Fat 7
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 0.81 g1.3%
Saturated Fat 0.07 g0.37%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 296.1 mg12.3%
Total Carbohydrates 18 g6.1%
Dietary Fiber 0.08 g0.33%
Sugars 1.3 g
Protein 3 g5.3%
Vitamin A 0.4% Vitamin C 0%
Calcium 0.03% Iron 0.19%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet