|Rye flour||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs) (Light)|
|Whole wheat flour||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Unbleached all purpose flour||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Dry yeast||1 (1 Package)|
|Cider vinegar||1 Tablespoon|
|Drink mix||2 Tablespoon (Malted Grain Beverage Mix, Such As Postum)|
|Margarine||3 Tablespoon (Melted)|
|Caraway seeds||2 Teaspoon|
1. In a medium-size bowl stir together the rye flour, whole-wheat flour, 1 cup of all-purpose flour and the salt, and make a well in the center; set aside.
2. Place the yeast in a small bowl, add 1/4 cup of warm water (105-115°) and set aside 2 to 3 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, in a small bowl stir together the molasses, vinegar, grain beverage and 3/4 cup of warm water. Pour the yeast mixture, the molasses mixture, the margarine and caraway seeds into the dry ingredients, and stir to form a dough.
4. Turn the dough onto a lightly floured board and knead it 5 to 7 minutes, or until smooth and elastic. Transfer the dough to a medium-size bowl, cover it with a damp kitchen towel and set aside in a warm place to rise 1 hour, or until doubled in bulk.
5. Punch down the dough and knead it 2 minutes on a lightly floured surface. Return the dough to the bowl, cover and let it rise about 30 minutes, or until almost doubled in bulk.
6. Spray a 9 x 5-inch loaf pan with nonstick cooking spray and dust it lightly with flour.
7. Punch down the dough again and roll it into a ball with your hands, then flatten it into an 8-inch disk. Roll up the dough to form a log. Place the dough in the prepared pan and set it aside to rise, uncovered, 30 minutes.
8. Preheat the oven to 450°
9. Bake the bread 10 minutes, then reduce the oven temperature to 325° and bake 35 minutes more, or until the loaf is golden brown and sounds hollow when tapped. Turn the bread out on a rack to cool at least 10 minutes before cutting it.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 1906 Calories from Fat 402
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 46 g70.4%
Saturated Fat 7.6 g38.1%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 1009.5 mg42.1%
Total Carbohydrates 336 g112.1%
Dietary Fiber 59.4 g237.7%
Sugars 19.3 g
Protein 58 g116.2%
Vitamin A 33.5% Vitamin C 3.6%
Calcium 28.8% Iron 141.5%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet