Scallion Cheese Bread
|Buttermilk||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Lemon juice||2 Tablespoon|
|Dry yeast||2 Teaspoon (1 Package)|
|Whole wheat flour||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs) (Adjust Quantity As Needed)|
|Unbleached all purpose flour||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Chopped scallions||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Sharp cheddar cheese||1 1⁄2 Ounce, grated (Scant 1/2 Cup)|
1. Combine the buttermilk, lemon juice and margarine in a small skillet over medium heat, and warm the mixture just until tepid; remove from the heat and set aside.
2. Place the yeast in a small bowl and add 1/3 cup of warm water (105-115°); set aside 5 minutes. Meanwhile, in a large bowl combine 1 1/2 cups of the whole-wheat flour, the all-purpose flour, sugar and salt, and make a well in the center.
3. Pour the buttermilk and yeast mixtures into the dry ingredients and stir to form a dough. Turn the dough out on a lightly floured surface and knead it 8 to 10 minutes, or until smooth and elastic. Return the dough to the bowl, cover with a damp kitchen towel and set aside in a draft-free place to rise 1 hour, or until doubled in bulk.
4. Punch down the dough and knead it 2 minutes. Return the dough to the bowl, cover and let it rise 45 minutes, or until almost doubled in bulk.
5. Punch down the dough again and roll it out on a lightly floured surface to a 10 x 15-inch rectangle. Sprinkle the scallions and cheese evenly over the dough. Starting with a long edge, roll up the dough and filling, jelly-roll fashion, as tightly as possible. Tuck in the ends to seal them and place the bread seam-side down on a baking sheet to rise, uncovered, 30 minutes.
6. Preheat the oven to 350°.
7. Bake the bread 30 to 40 minutes, or until it is golden brown and sounds hollow when tapped. Cool the bread on a rack at least 10 minutes before slicing it.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 1847 Calories from Fat 272
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 33 g50.3%
Saturated Fat 10.7 g53.3%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 45 mg15%
Sodium 1278.3 mg53.3%
Total Carbohydrates 330 g110%
Dietary Fiber 34.1 g136.3%
Sugars 19.4 g
Protein 68 g136.9%
Vitamin A 40.1% Vitamin C 54.4%
Calcium 47.8% Iron 111.8%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet